Thursday, May 19, 2011

I'm getting healthy!

This cat showed up on my door step yesterday and taught me more than she will ever know.  It went something like this...

Well, hello kitty on my front stoop...
are you lost? are you okay? did you come here to die?...
well, I can't keep you, so you are going to have to find a different home...
but, now you are rubbing up against me and loving me even though I have not even fed you or loved you yet...
wait! is this unconditional love?! and now do I have to keep you? 
oh crap. what am I supposed to do?
is it my duty to take care of everyone who needs help? 
why don't I feel compelled to keep you? 
everyone is telling me that you "found me" and that I have to take you in....
but I don't feel the urge to take that on...am I evil? 
or is this me unconsciously setting a healthy boundary? 
taking you in ttemporarily and keeping you safe and warm feels comfortable, but making you my forever-responsibility does not...

Then I had a revelation.  I do not have to take care of anyone but myself!  And not feeling the duty to do so is healthy

I'm getting healthy! go me go me....

End of the story is that the cat's mom saw a sign I had hung up in the neighborhood and was very, very happy to have her kitty back in her arms.  And in the meantime, that cat taught me a huge lesson... 

Thank you, Tisha!

1 comment:

  1. Just for the record, I only told you to keep the kitty b/c I like kitties. :) I'm so glad her mom found you, though.

    And I'm proud of you for setting boundaries! It's about time for you to put yourself first.

    ReplyDelete